Makes: 12 muffins
Dark Chocolate chips – ¼ cup (to be added before baking)
Plain flour (maida) – 1½ cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Cocoa powder - ½ cup
Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Oil – ½ cup (Any oil is fine, I used Rice bran oil which doesn't have any flavor on its own)
Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon
Milk – 1/3 cup (use if the batter is too thick)
- Add all dry ingredients to a sifter and sift into a bowl.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well using a whisk or using an electric blender until ingredients combine well (30 seconds on speed 1 approx).
- Add the dry ingredients onto the wet ingredients bowl and mix well using a whisk or using an electric blender until ingredients combine well without lumping.
- If the mixture is too thick to blend add the milk at this stage. (40 seconds on speed 1 approx - ensure that you don't over mix).
- Add the dark choc chips and mix well with a spatula.
- Pour batter onto muffin tray lined with muffin liners filling each space till just over halfway.
- Preheat oven at 180⁰C for 5 minutes.
- Bake at 180⁰C for about 18 to 20 minutes, mine got done in exactly 20 mins (A toothpick inserted comes out clean indicating that the muffins are fully baked).
- Transfer muffins onto a wire rack to allow cooling. Can be used for up to a week if refrigerated.