Oats Kara Thattai
Makes: 35-40 thattais approx.
Idiyappam flour – 1 cup (Store bought)
Powdered rolled oats - ½ cup
Urad dal flour – ¼ cup (Store bought)
Butter – 1 tablespoon
Roasted channa dal (Pottu kadalai) – 1 tablespoon (coarsely crushed)
Desiccated coconut - 1 tablespoon
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Chopped curry leaves - 15 leaves
Water – between ½ & ¾ cup approx. (to make dough)
Oil – for deep frying
- Heat oil in a deep pan for frying.
- Add ingredients one by one to a wide deep bowl, combine well.
- Add water little by little to form a stiff dough.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper and take a part of the dough, place it in the center.
- Lay another sheet of baking paper on top of the dough and slide a rolling pin over it and flatten the dough evenly.
- Using the lid of a bottle or lid of coffee filter cut out circles from the rolled dough.
- Drop rolled dough thatais one by one in hot oil. (fry approx. 4 to 5 per batch in medium flame)
- Fry until golden brown and drain onto paper towel.
- Allow it to cool down completely before tasting.
- While taking out thattai's from oil wait till the oil buzzing sounds dies down, this would ensure the thattai cooked well inside out.
- Adding more butter would sometimes result in the thattai loose its shape & disperse in hot oil.
- I used store bought olive oil spread in the place of butter and thattais came out even crunchier.