Makes: 4 serves approx.
Tomatoes – 2
Boiled white channa – 1 tablespoon
Channa stock – 1 cup (water in which channa was boiled)
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Salt – 1¼ teaspoons
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Garlic – 1 clove (finely chopped)
Curry leaves – 5 or 6
Grind to powder:
Curry leaves – 5 leaves
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1½ teaspoons
Red chillies – 2
- Grind the ingredients mentioned to powder & keep aside.
- Grind roughly chopped tomatoes along with turmeric powder, hing and salt to a smooth paste .
- Heat a pan & add one glass of water, add the tomato paste to this and allow boiling for 5 to 7 mins.
- Mash coarsely the boiled channa and add to rasam.
- Add the ground powder, 1 cup of channa stock and one more cup of water, allow boiling until it froths on top.
- Heat one teaspoon of ghee, add mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add finely chopped garlic pieces and curry leaves.
- Once garlic turn golden brown add the seasoning to the rasam along with chopped coriander leaves, keep closed to retain the aroma.
- Serve with hot rice & ghee.