Makes: 2 to 3 serves
Carrot – 2 (grated)
Moong dal (paasi paruppu) – 2 tablespoons
Grated coconut - ¼ cup
Green chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves – 3 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Salt – ¾ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Lemon juice – from ½ a lemon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Curry leaves – 5 to 6 leaves
- Boil moong dal with turmeric powder in a heavy-bottomed vessel with enough water till just cooked - approx about 5 mins. (Care should be taken not to overcook moong dal.)
- Grate the carrots.
- In a wide bowl add the grated carrots and then add salt, boiled moong dal, chopped green chillies, chopped coriander leaves, grated coconut, lemon juice & give it a good mix.
- Heat oil in a tempering pan.
- Add mustard seeds & allow spluttering.
- Add curry leaves & hing.
- Add the seasoning to the grated carrot.
- Can be served as an accompaniment to rice or as a salad.