Moong Dal Payasam
Makes: 4 to 6 cups
Payatham Paruppu (Moong Dal) – ½ cup
Water - 2 cups
Powdered Jaggery – ½ - ¾ cup (depending on sweetness levels)
Milk – 2 cup
Cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
Ghee – 1 tablespoon
Broken Cashews – 1 tablespoon
- Heat ghee in pressure cooker bottom, roast cashews till golden brown & keep aside.
- In the remaining ghee roast moong dal until slightly golden brown (you will start smelling a nice aroma).
- Add 2 cups of water to this & pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once pressure completely releases, open cooker & mash the cooked dal.
- Add milk to the cooked dal and bring to a boil.
- Add the powdered jaggery and allow boiling for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well, serve in cups garnishing with fried cashews.