Pressure Cooker Puliyotharai
Makes: 2 to 3 serves
Tamarind – small lemon ball size (without seeds)
Rice – 1 cup
Salt – ¾ teaspoon
Special masala powder - 1 tablespoon
Sesame oil – 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Channa dal - 1 teaspoon
Urad dal - 1 teaspoon
Red chillies – 2
Curry leaves – 15 leaves
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Peanuts (roasted) –¼ cup
Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Soak tamarind in water for about ½ hour & extract one cup of tamarind water.
- Wash rice a few times & keep aside.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker bottom & add mustard seeds, allow spluttering.
- Add urad dal & channa dal, roast till golden brown.
- Add curry leaves & red chilles (broken into halves), hing & turmeric powder.
- Add rice & tamarind water & allow one whistle.
- Open the pressure cooker once pressure releases, fluff gently.
- Add special masala powder and mix in gently.
- Serve with fried potato chips/papad/avial.