Easy Tomato Thokku
Makes: approx. 400 gms
Tomato – 5 big ones
Sesame oil – ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons
Salt – 1½ teaspoons
Red chilli powder – 1½ to 2 teaspoons (depending on spice levels)
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Hing – ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Mustard seeds – ½ tablespoon
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add curry leaves and chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Allow the tomatoes to shrink until all water content is lost. (approx. 20 mins)
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, hing, sugar and the remaining ¼ cup of sesame oil, allow this to cook for a further 3 mins.
- Allow to cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.