Makes: 4 serves
Onion – 1 big (finely chopped comes to ½ cup approx)
Gram flour (besan) – 1 cup
Rice flour – ½ cup
Salt – ¾ teaspoon
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Curry leaves – 10 (cut into halves)
Coriander leaves - 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Ginger - ½ inch piece (finely chopped)
Fennel seeds - 1 teaspoon
Hot Oil – 2 teaspoons (for mixture)
Oil – for deep frying
- Mix together all ingredients (except oil) in a large bowl & mix evenly.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a small pan and add to the mixture. (This helps pakoras turn out crispier)
- Add a few handful sprinkles of water to form a coarse mixture. (do not add more water as it results in soggy pakoras)
- Heat oil in a deep pan and drop of this mixture as tiny nibbles.
- Fry till golden brown and drain onto paper towels.
- An ideal evening tea-time snack.
Optional: 5 or 6 finely chopped mint leaves could also be added which enhances the flavor.