Raw banana cutlets
Makes: 12 cutlets
Vazaikai (raw banana) – 1
Carrot – ¼ cup (grated)
Onion – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Ginger – ½ inch piece (grated)
Garlic – 1 clove (grated)
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Curry leaves – 5 or 6 (finely chopped)
Kasuri Methi – 1 teaspoon
Green chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Rice flour – 1 tablespoon
Oil – for shallow fryingPowders:
Chilli powder – ¼ teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- Boil vazaikai (raw banana) in a closed pan with water. (takes approx. 10 to 12 minutes).
- Once cooked & cooled, peel the skin of the raw banana & keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a non stick flat pan.
- Add cumin seeds, grated ginger, garlic, green chillies & saute until golden brown.
- Add finely chopped onion saute for a minute or 2.
- Allow the cooked mixture to cool.
- Peel skin of the raw bananas.
- Add the cooked mixture, grated carrot, kasuri methi, curry leaves, coriander leaves, powders mentioned, salt, rice flour to the cooked raw banana pieces.
- Mash well with hands for an even consistency without lumps.
- Make 12 equal balls & flatten between palms.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a flat pan.
- Arrange the patties & fry both sides to golden brown.
- Could also be served with mint chutney/tomato sauce.