Beetroot Masala Vada
Makes: 10 to 15 Vadas approx.
Channa dal – ½ cup
Tuar dal - ½ cup
Water - 3 cups (for soaking)
Rice flour – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 1¼ teaspoon
Beetroot - 1 mid sized (grated)
Onion - 1 mid sized (finely chopped)
Curry leaves – 10
Red chillies – 3 to 4
Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Ginger - ½ inch piece (finely chopped)
Garlic –1 big clove (finely chopped)
Oil – for deep frying
- Soak channa dal & tuar dal together in water for 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain excess water and take out a handful of dal and keep aside.
- Grind the remaining dal in mixer grinder along with red chillies & salt to a coarse texture (do not use water).
- Add this ground dal mixture to a bowl & add chopped curry leaves, rice four, grated beetroot & finely chopped onions & mix well.
- Make small lemon sized balls and flatten between greased palms & drop in hot oil and fry until golden brown.