Makes: 4 servings
Cooked tuar dal – 1 tablespoon
Water – 3 ½ to 4 cups
Tomatoes – 1 large
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Juice of 1 whole orange
Roast & grind to powder:
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 10
Red chilli – 1
Tuar dal – 1 teaspoon
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoon (finely chopped)
Orange zest – 1 teaspoon
- Dry roast ingredients mentioned and once cooled, grind to powder.
- Grate and take a teaspoon(approx.) of orange zest & extract juice from the orange, keep aside.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, hing, salt to 2 cups of water.
- Allow this to boil for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Mash cooked tuar dal & dilute with about 1½ cups of water.
- Add this dal water & about 2 teaspoons of the ground powder to the boiling rasam.
- Allow boiling for a further 2 minutes. (Till it froths on top)
- Remove from flame, add juice & zest of orange.
- Heat ghee, add mustard seeds & allow spluttering.
- Add the tempering to rasam.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with rice & ghee.