Onion & Garlic Vatha Kuzhambu
Tamarind – lemon sized ball
Gingerly oil – 4 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 10
Sambar powder – 2 ½ teaspoons
Rice flour – 1 teaspoon
Red chillies – 2
Salt – 2 teaspoons
Onion – 1 (finely cut)
Garlic – 10 cloves (cut into halves)
- Soak tamarind in water for half hour in 2 glasses of water
- Squeeze tamarind with hand & filter the water (Throw away the squeezed tamarind)
- Heat 4 teaspoons of gingerly (sesame) oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds & allow spluttering.
- Add fenugreek seeds & wait till they turn golden brown.
- Add curry leaves, red chillies (break into half).
- Add onion & garlic pieces & fry for a minute.
- Add sambar powder & fry until it turns brown in colour.
- Add tamarind water & allow boiling.
- Wait until oil separates.
- Mix rice flour with water to a smooth paste without lumps.
- Add this to the kuzhambhu.
- Allow boiling for 5-7 more minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves & serve hot with rice.