Baked Uppu Seedai
Makes : 250 grams approx.
Rice flour – 1 cup
Urad dal flour – 1 tablespoon
Unsalted Butter – 2 full teaspoons
Sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
Salt – ¾ teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Water – just under ½ cup approx.
Oil – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Mix all ingredients except oil.
- Make into smooth dough adding water little by little.
- Line baking tray with foil or parchment paper.
- Make tiny balls of the dough and arrange on baking tray.
- Brush with oil.
- Preheat oven at 200⁰C for 5 minutes.
- Bake at 200⁰C for 12 to 15 minutes.
- After approximately 7 mins give the baking tray a shake.
- Remove baking tray if you find seedai’s turning golden brown on the outside any time within 15 minutes.
- Make sure not to apply too much pressure while making balls to get perfect smooth tight round balls as this causes the balls to be tightly packed which might cause bursting of seedais.
- For those who prefer traditional way of making - deep fry the balls made in hot oil until golden brown and drain onto paper towels