Makes: 4 serves
Tamarind – 1 lemon (small) sized ball
Salt – 1 ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Jaggery – a small piece
Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Veppampoo (dried neem flowers) - 2 teaspoons
Red chillies - 4 (break into halves)
Tuar dal - 1 teaspoon
Hing - a pinch
Curry leaves – 10 leaves
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
- Soak tamarind for half hour in 2 glasses of water.
- Squeeze tamarind with hand & filter the water (Throw away the squeezed tamarind)
- Heat ghee in a pan and add veppampoo, fry till golden brown and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon of ghee and add mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add red chillies, tuar dal, curry leaves, hing and then tamarind extract, jaggery, salt.
- Allow boiling until foam froths on top (3 to 5 mins).
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with rice.