Makes: 4 serves
Rice – 1 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Water – 1½ cups
Thick Yogurt – 1 cup
Butter – 1 tablespoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Hing – 1/8th teaspoon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
Cashews - 5 or 6 (broken into pieces)
Curry leaves – 5 or 6
Red chillies – 2 (broken into halves)
Grated carrot - 1 tablespoon
Chopped coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon
- Pressure cook rice with milk and water for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Once pressure releases, open cooker and mash the contents nicely.
- Once the contents cool down add yogurt, salt, hing and butter and mix well.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add the remaining ingredients mentioned under tempering, fry till cashews are golden brown and add to curd rice.
- Garish with grated carrots and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and serve along with pickle of your choice.
Fruits such as pomegranate or dried grapes, dark grapes could also be added in the tempering.