Makes: 250 grams approx.
Gram flour (Besan/kadalai maavu) – 1 cup
Rice flour – ½ cup
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Pepper - ¾ teaspoon
Cumin seeds - ¾ teaspoon
Curry leaves - 10 leaves
Hing – 1/8th teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/8th teaspoon
Butter – 1 tablespoon
Water - ¼ to ½ cup
Oil – for deep frying
- Grind pepper and cumin seeds & curry leaves to powdery consistency fine enough not to clog the holes of the press.
- Mix together rice flour, gram flour, salt, butter, ground powder, turmeric powder & hing.
- Add water little by little to make a dough. (Neither stiff nor loose)
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Grease the press with few drops of oil.
- Add the dough to the press loaded with big circular holes.
- Press onto hot oil in a deep pan & fry till golden brown. (until oil buzzing reduces to minimum)
- Drain onto a paper towel.
- Once cooled down add to a container and crush coarsely & store in airtight container.