Makes : 4 serves
Bindi (Okra/Ladies Finger) – ½ kg
Onion – 1 big (sliced lengthwise)
Tomatoes – 2 medium
Salt – 1 ¾ teaspoon
Amchur powder (dry mango powder) – 1 teaspoon
Oil – 5 teaspoons
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Fennel seeds – ½ teaspoon
Ginger – 1 inch piece (sliced thin in length)
Garlic – 1 piece (sliced thin in length)
Corrinader leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Wash and pat dry bindis(okras) with a towel.
- Ensure they are completely dry and then chop them into little long pieces.
- Heat 4 teaspoons of oil in a flat non stick tawa (or even dosa tawa).
- Place the cut okra evenly spread on the tawa.
- In low to medium flame cook for 10 to 15 minutes until okras look cooked. (Take care not to mash the okra while you sauté)
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in a non stick deep pan.
- Add cumin seeds & fennel seeds.
- Add lengthwise chopped ginger & garlic & sauté for a ½ a minute.
- Add lengthwise sliced onions & powders mentioned & sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes & salt, sauté till oil separates (tomatoes would have melted).
- Now add semi fried okra pieces, amchur powder & mix well. (Again take care not to mash the okras)
- Remove from flame after a couple of minutes & garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti’s.