Makes : 4 serves
Brinjal – ½ kg (finely cut)
Jaggery – a small bit
Oil – 1 ½ teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 ½ teaspoon
Tamarind – a small piece
Hing - ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
Roast & Grind:
Coriander seeds – 3 teaspoons
Channa dal – 3 teaspoons
Red chillies – 2
Curry leaves – 6
Coconut – ½ cup (grated)
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds & allow spluttering.
- Add cut brinjal pieces, salt, turmeric powder, hing & jaggery.
- Soak tamarind in little water & prepare tamarind water. (approx ½ tumbler)
- Sprinkle this water & keep closed.
- Repeat step 5 until till the pieces look cooked.
- Roast ingredients mentioned with ½ teaspoon of oil & grind to smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste & mix well.
- Allow boiling for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves & serve hot with rice.