Orange - Almond cake
Makes: one cake (8 slices)
Carrots – 2 (grated)
Self-rising flour – 1 cup
Rolled oats – ½ cup
Almond meal – ¼ cup
Zest of 2 oranges
Baking soda – 1 flat teaspoon
Sugar - 1/8 cup
Olive oil (or) rice bran oil – ½ cup
Eggs – 3
Juice from 3 oranges
Store bought orange juice – ½ cup
Vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
- Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk briskly for a minute.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bigger bowl, make a well in the center and add the whisked wet ingredients.
- Combine well without lumps and pour into a greased cake tin.
- Preheat oven at 200⁰ C for five minutes.
- Bake at 200⁰ C for 20 – 25 minutes. Mine got done in 22 minutes.
- This cake is a very dense cake not a spongy one.
- The cake will feel soggy in the center due to the presence of oats.
- Once the baking is done, allow the cake to cool for atleast 4 hours or leave it overnight before you attempt to slice it.
- For the cake frosting shown in picture, I mixed some thick yogurt with a tablespoon of orange juice and garnished with some crushed walnuts.
- This cake will be very mild on sweetness.