Makes: 7 pieces
Potatoes – 3 medium sized
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Grated ginger & garlic - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Salt – ¾ teaspoon
Coriander leaves - 3 to 4 teaspoons
Oil – 2 to 3 teaspoons
For the outer covering:
Besan – ¾ cup
Rice flour – 1 tablespoon
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Water - ¾ to 1 cup approx.
Baking soda - ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Peel skin & boil potatoes until soft.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a deep pan & add cumin seeds, grated ginger & garlic and fry till golden brown.
- Add the boiled potatoes, turmeric powder & salt and mash well with a spatula or potato masher.
- Add the remaining oil & allow cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped corriander leaves, mix well & allow to cool.
- Once cooled mash well & lemon sized balls.
- Add all ingredients except baking soda to a bowl, mix well.
- Add water little at a time to form a smooth thick runny batter.
- Add baking soda & mix well.
- Heat the kuzhi paniyaram plate adding 1 teaspoon of oil in each space.
- Dip each potato ball into the batter & place in the heated kuzhi paniyaram plate.
- Turn sides once golden brown & add a another ½ teaspoon of oil to each vada.