Idli Milagai Podi
Makes: 500 gms approx.
Channa Dal – 1 cup
Urad dal – 1 cup
Red chillies – 2 cups (or) around 40 chillies approx.
Sesame seeds – ½ cup
Curry leaves – a handful of leaves
Salt – 2½ teaspoons
Hing – ½ teaspoon
Jaggery – 1 teaspoon
Sesame oil (Nallennail) – 1 teaspoon (for roasting)
- Roast the channa dal and urad dal together in a teaspoon of sesame oil until golden brown and keep aside.
- In the same pan roast the sesame seeds until spluttering and keep aside.
- In the same pan roast the red chillies in low flame until they turn slightly brown in colour and get puffed up.
- In the same pan roast a handful of curry leaves for about ½ a minute or so.
- Allow all roasted ingredients to cool down.
- Grind the red chillies first and keep aside.
- Grind the roasted dals, curry leaves and sesame seeds together adding salt, hing and jaggery.
- Grind to powder according to your preferred texture.
- Add the ground chillies and run the mixer grinder for a few seconds to ensure mixing.
- Store in an airtight container.