Makes: About 8 Uthappams
Bread slices – 7 (sandwich bread)
Sooji rava (semolina) – ½ cup
Rice flour – ¼ cup
Water – 1 to 1 ½ cups
Yoghurt – ½ cup
Salt – ¼ to ½ teaspoon
Baking Soda – ¼ teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Onion – 1 small
Curry leaves – 10 to 15 leaves
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Sesame oil – about 8 teaspoons (one teaspoon for each uthappam)
- Cut the corners of bread slices, tear them roughly and add to a bowl.
- To the same bowl add yoghurt, sooji rava, rice flour and ½ cup of water, mix with hands and let this mixture sit for ½ hour.
- Add the soaked mixture to blender or mixer grinder along with baking soda, hing, ½ cup of water and blend to a smooth thick batter. (add more water if required)
- Finely chop onions, curry leaves, coriander leaves and combine the chopped ingredients.
- Heat dosa pan and add a generous scoop of batter, gently make a thick spread and sprinkle chopped mixture.
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil and toast till golden brown.
- Serve coconut chutney/onion-tomato chutney/milagai podi or any chutney of your choice.