Bajji Milagai Kurma
Makes : 4 serves
Bajji milagai – 2 long ones (¼ kg approx)
Onions – 1 mid sized (chopped)
Tomato – 1 mid sized (chopped)
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Grated Ginger – ½ inch small piece
Grated Garlic – 1 big clove
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
Fennel seeds - ½ teaspoon
Bay leaf - 1
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece stick
Grind to paste:
Coconut – ¼ cup
Corriander stem – a handful (optional)
Cashew nuts – 1 tablespoon
Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon (soaked in warm water for an hour prior to grinding)
Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
- Chop the bajji milagai into mid size pieces.
- Grind to paste all ingredients mentioned for grinding.
- Heat of oil in a deep pan, add items mentioned under tempering and fry till golden brown.
- Add finely chopped onions, turmeric powder & fry for a minute until transparent.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes & salt, cook closed for a minute.
- Add chopped milagai & ½ glass of water.
- Keep closed & cook till chilli pieces are cooked (takes approx 3 to 4 mins).
- Add the ground paste II & allow boiling in open pan for a minute or two (gravy would have thickened).
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with chappathis/rice.