Makes : 2 - 4 serves
Snake gourd (pudalangai) – 1 medium sized
Salt – ¼ teaspoon
Channa dal – ½ cup
Tuar dal – ½ cup
Oil – 4 teaspoons
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Red chillies – 3 or 4
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Soak both dals together for 6 to 8 hours.
- Grind to coarse paste with the ingredients mentioned under to grind.
- Microwave this paste on power HIGH for 3 to 6 mins (depending on wattage of your microwave – keep a minute or two extra if required until cooked)
- Allow this mixture to cool down a bit and crumble coarsely with hands.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add the crumbled usili mixture and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut pudalangai into half and scoop out the centre part carefully with a spoon.
- Then cut into thick rings.
- Add these rings to a microwave safe bowl along with salt & water (immersing the pudalangai pieces)
- Microwave for HIGH for 3 to 5 mins (depending on wattage of your microwave).
- Drain all the water.
- Stuff the usili mixture into the pudalangai rings and arrange in a dosa tawa, frying with a teaspoon of oil.
- Turn sides and add another teaspoon of oil, fry until golden brown.
- Serve hot with rice and more kuzambu.