Urad dal – 1 cup
Idli rice – 5 cups
Fenugreek seeds – 2 teaspoons
Salt – 5 teaspoons
- Soak urad dal & fenugreek seeds together.
- Soak rice separately.
- Allow soaking for 6 to 8 hours.
- Put to grind soaked urad dal & fenugreek seeds with 1 tumbler of water.
- Allow grinding for 20-25 minutes, add water in between if necessary. ( this is the vital part of grinding, grind till urad dal batter becomes fluffy- raises till nearly half the grinder bowl)
- Empty the ground urad dal batter into a bowl.
- Add soaked rice to the grinder with little water.
- Allow grinding till the paste is smooth adding little water as & when required. (rice should be ground as a thick batter)
- Add the ground urad dal batter & salt.
- Allow grinding for 2 to 3 minutes for the batters to mix.
Fermenting the batter:
- A whole night if winter.
- 6-8 hours if summer.
Tips: Always use a Grinder instead of a mixie because
- yield is more.
- idlis turn out soft.