Instant Tomato Rasam
Makes: 3 to 4 serves
Tomatoes – 2 small
Salt – 1½ teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Water - 3 cups
Cooked Tuar Dal – 1 or 2 tablespoons
Corriander leaves - 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
Grind to powder:
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – 15
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chop tomatoes finely.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, allow spluttering.
- Add the ground powder and fry for half a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt, hing & turmeric powder and fry for few seconds.
- Keep covered with lid for a minute.
- Add 1½ cups of water and allow boiling for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Make dal water by adding 1½ cups of water to dal.
- Add the dal water and further allow boiling for another 3 - 4 minutes (until it froths on surface).
- Garnish with corriander leaves and serve hot with rice or as an appetizer.