Makes: 4 serves
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Ghee – 1 ½ teaspoon
Rasam powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 ½ teaspoons
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Cooked tuar dal – 1 tablespoon (karandi)
Roast & grind:
Coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons
Channa dal – 2 teaspoons
Red chilli – 1
Coconut – 2 teaspoons (grated)
Curry leaves – 6
- Roast the ingredients with ½ teaspoon of ghee & grind to powder.
- Soak tamarind in water for half hour in 2 glasses of water.
- To prepare tamarind extract squeeze tamarind in water & filter the water (Throw away the squeezed tamarind)
- Add turmeric powder, salt, rasam powder & hing.
- Allow boiling till the raw smell vanishes.
- Add 2 tumblers of water to cooked tuar dal, mash the dal & prepare dal water.
- Add dal water and ground powder to the boiling rasam & allow boiling for 5 more minutes. (Till there are bubbles on the top surface)
- Heat ghee, add mustard seeds.
- Allow spluttering & add to the rasam.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with rice.
Served with thengai thogayal.