Zucchini-Channa Dal Subzi
Makes : 4 serves
Zucchini – 1 long
Onion – 1 big (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 big (finely chopped)
Channa dal – 1 cup
Water - 1½ cups
Salt - 2 flat teaspoons
Oil – 2 teaspoons + Ghee - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Garlic - 1 big or 2 small cloves (grated)
Ginger - a small (1 cm long) piece (grated)
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Corriander powder – 2 teaspoons
Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Kasuri methi - 1 teaspoon (crushed)
- Peel skin & chop zucchini into mid sized pieces (yields 1 cup of chopped zucchini approx).
- Pressure cook channa dal and zucchini for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add cumin seeds.
- Add grated garlic and ginger (yields one teaspoon altogether) and saute for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and all powders, fry for a minute.
- Add finely chopped tomato pieces and salt, combine well & cook closed for 2 minutes (tomatoes look melted and blended).
- Add boiled zucchini channa dal mixture and boil for 2 to 3 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis/rice.