Makes: 4 serves
Tamarind – lemon sized ball
Salt – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
Roast & grind:
Channa dal – 2 teaspoons
Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
Pepper – 2 teaspoons
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 10 leaves
Red chilli – 1
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Soak tamarind in water for half hour in 2 glasses of water.
- To prepare tamarind extract squeeze tamarind in water & filter the water (Throw away the squeezed tamarind)
- Boil tamarind water with turmeric powder, hing & salt.
- Allow boiling till raw smell vanishes.
- Roast & grind the ingredients mentioned to coarse powder.
- Add the ground powder & allow boiling for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, add tempering & serve hot with rice.
- Can be served as an appetizer/soup as well.