Parruppu Urundai Kuzhambu
Channa dal – 1 table spoon
Tuar dal – ½ tablespoon
Red chilli – 1
Aniseed - 1 teaspoon
Small onions – 1 cup (cut into halves)
Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves (slit lengthwise into half)
Onion – ½ (slit lengthwise)
Tomato – 1 finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
Salt – 2 ½ teaspoons
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Sambar powder – 1 teaspoon
Tamarind – small lemon sized ball
Curry leaves – 10
Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Rice flour – 1 teaspoon
For Dal balls:
- Soak dals for 1 hour.
- Grind to coarse paste with red chilli & aniseed & ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Mix finely chopped coriander leaves with it.
- Heat kuzhi paniyaram thathu & add a drop of oil in each space (kuzhi).
- Fill each space (kuzhi) with the ground paste & keep closed for 3 minutes in sim.
- Turn sides & cook for 2 more minutes (without closing).
- Soak tamarind in water for half hour in 2 glasses of water.
- To prepare tamarind extract squeeze tamarind in water & filter the water (Throw away the squeezed tamarind)
- Heat oil in a non-stick kadai.
- Add mustard seeds & allow spluttering.
- Add chopped garlic & fry for a minute.
- Add curry leaves, chopped onions, small onions & tomato pieces.
- Add salt, chilli powder, sambar powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder.
- Sauté till tomato pieces melt & everything blends.
- Add the tamarind water & allow boiling till oil separates.
- Mix rice flour with ½ glass of water without lumps.
- Add this to kuzhambu & let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Drop the cooked dal balls & allow boiling for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves & serve hot with rice.