Homemade Puliyotharai Paste
Makes: 500 grams
Tamarind – 2 lemon sized balls
Jaggery – 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Hing – 1 teaspoon
Roast & grind to powder:
Curry leaves – 10
Coriander seeds – ¼ cup
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Channa dal – 2 tablespoons
Red chilies – 6
Sesame oil – ½ cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
Channa dal – 1 tablespoon
Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
Sesame seeds – 2 tablespoons
Roasted peanuts – ¼ cup
Curry leaves – 20
Red chilies – 3 (broken into halves)
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for about ½ hour.
- Squeeze tamarind extract and keep aside.
- Roast all ingredients mentioned in a teaspoon of oil to golden brown and grind to powder.
- Heat oil in a deep pan add mustard seeds allow spluttering.
- Add the rest of the items one by one and fry until the dals turn golden brown.
- Add the tamarind extract, hing, turmeric powder and salt and allow this to boil until oil separates to the sides of the pan.
- Add the ground powder allow boiling for a couple more minutes.
- Allow to cool down completely & fill up in an airtight, clean, dry bottle/jar.
- Use 1 to 2 tablespoons to mix with one cup of cooked rice & add a teaspoon of sesame oil to make puliyotharai/tamarind rice.