Arachu vitta Sambar
Makes: 4 to 6 serves
Onion – 1
Drumstick – 1 (cut into inch long pieces)
Tamarind – lemon sized ball
Sambar powder – 2 teaspoons
Sesame Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – ½ teaspoon
Hing - ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Cooked tuar dal – 2 tablespoons
Salt – 2 teaspoons
Roast & grind:
Coconut – 1 tablespoon (grated)
Dhania – 3 teaspoons
Channa dal – 4 teaspoons
Red chillies – 3
Curry leaves – 10
- Soak tamarind in water for half hour in 2 glasses of water
- Squeeze tamarind with hand & filter the water (Throw away the squeezed tamarind)
- Heat oil in a pan; add hing & onions fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tamarind extract, sambar powder, salt, turmeric powder & drumsticks.
- Allow boiling till raw smell vanishes.
- Mash the cooked tuar dal & add it.
- Add the ground paste.
- Allow boiling for 5-7 minutes.
- Season mustard seeds in a teaspoon of sesame oil
- Add fenugreek seeds, fry until golden brown.
- Add seasoning to sambar & serve hot.