Cous-cous veg upma
Makes: 2 to 4 servings
Wholemeal Couscous – 1 cup
Water – 2 cups
Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Finely chopped mixed veges of your choice – 1 cup (I used carrot, potato, cabbage & capsicum)
Salt – 1¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Tempering: Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – ½ teaspoon
Green chilli – 1 or 2 (finely chopped)
Curry leaves – 10 (finely chopped)
- Boil the water and add to the bowl of couscous, let this sit for 15 to 20 mins.
- The couscous would have doubled up in volume, fluff up the soaked couscous with a fork and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped green chillies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onions, salt and turmeric powder, fry until golden brown.
- Add the chopped veges and sprinkle a handful or two of water.
- Cook keeping closed for a couple of minutes stirring once in between.
- Once veges are cooked add the fluffed couscous and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney or any pickle of your choice.