Makes: 4 serves
Tamarind – lemon sized ball
Water – 2 cups
Cooked tuar Dal - 1 tablespoon
Jaggery – a small piece
Salt – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped)
Roast & grind:
Tuar dal – 2 teaspoons
Red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – 10
Pepper – ½ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Heat ½ teaspoon of ghee & roast ingredients mentioned.
- Once cooled, Grind to powder & keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in water for half hour in 2 glasses of water.
- Squeeze tamarind with hand & filter the water. (Throw away the squeezed tamarind)
- Boil tamarind water with salt, jaggery, turmeric powder & hing till raw smell vanishes.
- Mash cooked tuar dal & dilute with 2 glasses of water.
- Add the ground powder & dal water allow boiling for 3 to 5 minutes
- Keep closed to retain the flavour.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of ghee & add mustard seeds, allow spluttering.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes & sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add this to the rasam.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with rice.