Makes: 16 kozukattais approx.
Raw rice – 1 cup
Tuar dal – ¼ cup
Channa dal – ¼ cup
Water – 2 ½ cups
Coconut Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Coconut – 5 teaspoons (grated)
Grind to paste:
Green chillies – 2
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
Pepper – ½ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 20 leaves
Salt – 1 ½ teaspoon
Corriander leaves – a handful
Corriander stem part – a handful
(The stem part of the coriander bunch)
- Break the rice in mixie coarsely to make rice rawa.
- Break the dals together coarsely to make dals rawa.
- Heat coconut oil in a non-stick tawa.
- Add mustard seeds & allow spluttering.
- Add water & the ground paste.
- When this comes to a boil add rice rawa, dals rawa & grated coconut.
- Mix well & boil till all water is absorbed. (upma consistency)
- Keep aside & allow cooling.
- Once cooled, make kozakattai’s (elliptical balls) of the upma.
- Arrange in idli plates.
- Steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney/onion-tomato chutney.
- Instead of the regular elliptical balls, can make various shapes of the upma to make it attractive for the kids.
- Can be served with sugar for kids.