Tamarind – lemon sized ball
Small onions – 1 cup
Garlic – 5 small cloves
Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
Drumstick – 1 (cut into finger sized pieces)
Karamani (Black eyed peas) – a handful
Sambar powder – 3 teaspoons
Sesame oil – 1 table spoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves – 5 or 6
Turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
Salt - 2 teaspoons
Grind to paste:
Coconut – 3 to 4 teaspoons (grated)
Saunf (fennel seeds) – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 10
- Prepare tamarind extract with 2 glasses of water.
- Soak karamani overnight & pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Heat sesame oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves & allow spluttering.
- Add garlic, small onions, sambar powder, turmeric powder & fry till golden brown.
- Add tomato pieces & salt, fry for one more minute.
- Add drumstick pieces, soaked karamani & tamarind extract.
- Allow boiling until raw smell vanishes.
- Add ground paste once raw smell vanishes & allow boiling for 5 to 7 minutes in low flame.
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil & mix well, remove from flame.
- Serve hot with rice.