Home Made Rava Idli
Makes: 12 - 14 idlis
Rava (Sooji) – 1 cup
Yogurt – 1 cup (thick)
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
Channa dal – 1 teaspoon
Cashews – 5 or 6 (broken to small pieces)
Curry leaves – 10 (chopped)
Ginger – ½ inch piece (grated)
Green chillies – 2 small/1 big (finely chopped)
Hing – ¼ teaspoon
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds & allow spluttering.
- Add urad dal, channa dal & broken cashew pieces, fry till golden brown.
- Add hing, curry leaves, green chillies and grated ginger.
- Add rava & fry this mixture till golden brown.
- Allow this mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the yogurt briskly for a few seconds and add the roasted rava mixture, salt.
- Combine well without lumps to idli batter consistency. (add little water if the batter is too thick)
- Rest this mixture for 20 to 30 minutes, add baking soda & mix well.
- Pour batter onto greased idli plates.
- Steam for 10 minutes in pressure cooker without the weight or in idli cooker till whistle.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney/kothsu(sambar).
Grated carrots can also be added to the idli batter mixture before steaming.