Raw rice – 1 cup
Moong dal – ½ cup
Water – 4 or 5cups
Jaggery – 1 ½ cups
Cashews – 10
Ghee – 5 to 7 teaspoons
Dried grapes – 5 or 6 pieces
Elachi powder – ½ teaspoon
- Dry roast moong dal and along with washed rice in a pressure cooker.
- Add water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Melt jaggery in a cup of water and strain for impurities once jaggery dissolved completely.
- Add cooked rice mixture with jaggery water and stir until completely mixed.
- Cook in low flame for 10 mins.
- Add 6 teaspoons of ghee and mix well, continue cooking for 5 more mins.
- Heat ghee and add broken cashew pieces, fry til golden brown and add to chakkarai pongal.