Makes: 2 to 4 servings
Beetroot – 1 small
Onion – 1 big
Tomatoes – 2 small or 1 big
Garlic – 2 cloves (grated)
Ginger – ½ inch piece (grated)
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Water – 2 cups
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Fennel seeds - ¼ teaspoon
Cloves – 4
Bay leaf – 2
Cinnamon – ½ inch piece
Cardamom – 1
Chilli powder - ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
Corriander powder - 1 heaped teaspoon
Garam masala powder - ½ teaspoon
Coriander leaves - 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
- Wash & soak basmati rice for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add cumin seeds & fennel seeds.
- Add grated ginger garlic, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon & cardamom, fry till golden brown.
- Add finely chopped onions & ingredients mentioned under powders, fry for a minute.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes & salt, cook keeping closed for a minute (tomatoes would look melted).
- Add finely chopped beetroot & cook keeping closed for another minute.
- Add the cooked contents along with soaked rice & water to an electric rice cooker. (If cooking in a pressure cooker, cook until 2 whistles without weight)
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with raitha.