Makes: 2 serves
Aval (Flattened rice/Poha) - 2 cups (Thick)
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Coconut (grated) – ¼ cup
Roasted peanuts - 1 tablespoon
Water - a handful sprinkle
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 10 leaves
Sesame oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoons
Hing - ¼ teaspoon
Cashews - 5 or 6 (broken into pieces)
- Wash aval 2 to 3 times in water to remove all the fine dust (the water would be very cloudy).
- Drain and keep aside for about 5 minutes.
- Grind coarsely cumin seeds, pepper & curry leaves and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick deep pan, add mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add in the cashews, hing & fry till cashews turn golden brown.
- Add soaked and drained aval along with salt, mix well.
- Sprinkle a handful of water & cook closed with a lid for 1 or 2 mins.
- Add coarsely ground powder, roasted peanuts and grated coconut, mix well.
- Pepper aval made in minutes is ready to serve.