Pottu Kadalai Urundai
Makes: 10 Lemon sized balls
Roasted Gram Dal (Pottu kadalai) – 1½ cups
Powdered Jaggery – ¾ cup
Cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
Warm water - 1/3 cup
- Take jaggery in a bowl, add 1/3 cup of warm water.
- Dissolve the jaggery into the water stirring with a spoon.
- Filter out through a sieve to remove impurities which might be in jaggery.
- Transfer filtered jaggery water onto a microwave safe bowl.
- Micro HIGH power (default power) for 3 minutes, allow standing time of 1 minute.
- Take out & give a stir.
- Micro HIGH power (default power) for 2 minutes, allow standing time of 1 minute.
- To check consistency of sugar syrup: Take a drop of the jaggery mixture and drop onto a small bowl with cold water. You should be able to make a tiny ball out of the drop (The drop should not disperse in water)
- Add the pottu kadalai, cardamom powder to the syrup & mix well.
- Grease hands with a teaspoon of ghee.
- Make balls out of the mixture.
Note: The wattage of my microwave is 1100 watts, so please adjust times accordingly.