Makes : 4 serves
Rice – 1 cup
Jaggery - 1 ½ cup
Cooked tuar dal – ½ cup
Ghee – 2 teaspoon
Cashew nuts – few
Cardamom powder – a pinch
Coconut - 5 teaspoons (grated)
- Roast the rice in a pan (without oil) till golden brown. (smells like puffed rice).
- Once cool, grind it to coarse rava consistency, sieve it to separate the fine powder. (use the coarse rava not the powder).
- Immerse jaggery with enough water and allow boiling.
- Filter the jaggery water to separate fine dirt & sand.
- Boil the jaggery water again till it thickens to one string consistency. (If you pour the jaggery syrup with spatula it falls as a string)
- Set the coarse rice rava with 2 cups of water in an electric rice cooker/pressure cooker.
- Add the jaggery syrup, cooked tuar dal, 1 teaspoon ghee, cardamom powder, coconut to the cooked rice rava and mix well till all contents blend. (set this mixture to cook in the rice cooker again if desired).
- Fry the cashew nuts in a teaspoon of ghee.
- Garnish with the cashews & serve hot with Thirvadirai Kuzambu