Makes : 4 serves
Moong dal – ½ cup
Special masala powder – 4 teaspoons
Salt – 2 teaspoons
Hing – a pinch
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Tamarind paste – 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (finely chopped)
Sesame oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Carrot – 1
Drumstick – 2 to 3 one inch pieces
Brinjal – 1 small sized
Small onions – 10 to 15
Tomato – 1 mid sized
- Dry roast the moong dal in a non stick pan until goldenbrown (you would be able to smell the aroma).
- Pressure cook for a few whistles and keep aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a non stick deep pan, add mustard seeds allow spluttering.
- Add fenugreek seeds and wait until they turn golden brown.
- Add small onions and sauté till they are transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and other veges along with turmeric powder, sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Mash the cooked dal well and add the sautéed mixture to the pressure cooker and allow just one more whistle.
- Once pressure is off, add the tamarind pulp, special masala powder, salt , a cup of water and hing, mix well to sambar consistency.
- Allow to boil for 3 to 5 mintues.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot idlis/dosas.